Thursday, June 14, 2007

The 5 Stranded On A Desert Island Albums


Dredg-Leitmotif: Does this one really need an explanation? It's a giant, landscape of art-rock that seems like this generations answer to Pink Floyd. I still hold El Cielo very close to my heart, but as far as indispensable albums go, this is it.







Clann Zu-Black Coats and Bandages: A lot of fans of the Clann favor Rua, but as much as I love it, it doesn't hold a candle to Black Coats. Between De Clann's voice, subtle violins and pianos, and the perfect Irish flavor, there may not ever be 5 albums that top this one to me.







Tool-Aenima: Chalk this one up to my youth, but as a 16 year old, this album seemed like a total eye opener (no pun intended.) Now, 11 years later, the pretension and pompousness can be over the top, but nostalgia wins out and the album feels flawless, from start to finish.






Failure- Fantastic Planet: This is Ken Andrew's brilliance at it's finest. Overlooked in 1996 when it was released, it has found a cult like status in the 11 years since. Ken was a wizard behind the controls, and this album mixes perfectly sonic mastery with catchy, spacey vocals. Nothing he has done since has matched the prowess of this album, and I hope every day they will reunite.






Placebo-Without You I'm Nothing: I don't have much to say except I know every single word on this album. I can listen to it every other day and it still gives me chill bumps. No matter what, this album will always be essential to me. Nearly every album they've recorded has been great, and usually criminally underrated. However, this one stands alone at the top.

No comments: