Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Sub Pop Roundup!


Sub Pop Records have earned such a place in my heart and mind (and ears,) that I'm devoting a monthly column to their wonderful offerings in mass format. I'll try to never miss an album, if possible, because the label just has a knack for delivering the goods. This months edition features two releases from the past few months.

Kinski's 7th LP, Down Below It's Chaos, continues to showcase the Seattle boys' stoner meets avant-garde eccentricities whilst throwing in a few more vocals than you may be used to.

At times, the whole sound seems tired, like I've heard Kyuss and Black Sabbath play similar riffs and sludgy vocals years ago. But, it's their post-rock side that really keeps me intrigued. Tracks like "Boy I Was Mad" and "Silent Biker Type" definitely keep me interested, but the more stoner oriented tracks seem a bit retread and lacking.


Now, with The Go! Team's 2nd album, Proof Of Youth, it's not that I don't find it insanely catchy or wierd or utterly interesting, but I can't get over the fact that it feels like a huge gimmick.

"Grip Like a Vice" hammers you immediately with a sound akin to M.I.A., and doggone it's infectious with it's 80's ghettoblaster beats and Chuck D style rhymes. Almost immediately, however, they can pull a switcharoo on ya with a Jackson 5 meets Animal Collective track like "Doing It Right". The whole album is so eclectic it almost feels contrived, I mean, who can mesh so many influences like this, naturally? But nothing can actually compare to listening to this album in it's entirety, it's just that unique. I definitely have my reservations, but this band won't soon be forgotten, and I'll surely tell a few friends.

That's it for this month's Sub Pop Roundup, next month we'll focus on two band's I have a major jones for with Band of Horses and Iron and Wine.

Kinski MP3
The Go! Team MP3

No comments: